urban creature: The end of innocence


Saturday, January 08, 2005
The end of innocence
On Friday night as I walked away from a Perth train station - on my way to a local gay venue - I was mugged. There were four of them and luckily for me their only weapons were their fists. However, there is a bruised lip that doesn't think itself lucky.

At first I thought they were joking - until of course a couple of punches landed on my face and I found myself on the ground, with one of them removing my watch and bracelet and the others rummaging through my pockets.

They were kind of nice about it - relatively speaking - since they gave back my wallet (at my request) after removing the cash and they returned my mobile phone. While I was walking away they gave me back $10 (presumably so I could get home). As the first - and hopefully the last - time that I've been mugged it was also relatively tame.

With all the walking around alone at night that I do, I'm a little surprised that it didn't happen sooner.

This, however, is the end of innocence. The end of (naively) feeling safe wherever I go, at whatever time it is. I can no longer claim that "it won't happen to me" because, quite clearly, it can and it did. I shed a few tears today at this realisation and the realisation that I will be watching my back for years to come.

And, if you're wondering, I did report the incident to the police and I did end up going out. A mugging is one thing, letting it ruin your night is another.

UPDATE: Here is a picture of the watch and the bracelet that they stole. They have more personal value to me than material value. If you see them, please let me know.


  Scribbled by urban creature @ 1:30 pm - [Permanent Link]

3 Comments:
At 11:57 am, Blogger urban creature said...

I was indeed heading to the Court.

I arrived back in Melbourne on Saturday night. The mugging happened on my last night in Perth.

Thanks for the positive feedback about my Lanes blog. I've received a few comments today which makes me think it's had a little exposure somewhere else in cyberland. Rest assured, I will update it soon.

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger Andrew Bartlett said...

Sorry to read of your mugging. Things like that are always awful, no matter how much you think that it could have been worse.
Good to see you didn't let ruin your night though - that's showing them.

 
At 9:43 pm, Blogger urban creature said...

Thanks Andrew

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me
Name: Aaron Hewett
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Contact Me
aaron [at] myrealbox.com

Search


www Urban Creature

Powered by Google

Other Projects
Lanes of Melbourne

Previous Posts
Merry Christmas
Billy meets Sam Newman
Unsolicited faxes
Older gay men
Is Howard going soft?
Billy shows people their options
Good & Bad #12
Billy discovers open sauce
Unfair Dismissal
Good & Bad #11

Links & Blogroll

Billy Cartoons


Would you like your photo taken with Billy? Simply email me a photo of yourself (leaving enough room for Billy to be inserted). You can make it look like you're hugging him, shaking his hand, whatever. However, what Billy is doing and what he is wearing will ultimately be up to me to decide.
Send your pics in today!

Design
In A Mood Designs
315 DPI

Etc.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on Blogwise

Listed on Aussieblogs.org

Subscribe with Bloglines

Melbourne | Blogs

Site Feed

visitors since 5 July 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Google Ads

Blog Ads
Promote your blog for free.